SAFE SCHOOL ALLIANCE (SSA) LAGOS CHAPTER-STARTER INFORMATION PACK
Membership of the Safe School Alliance gives your organisation access to list their products and services as safe, approved and child friendly, hence available on the SSLAG marketplace for education stakeholders to access and procure. As such those approved products/ Services get endorsed by the Lagos State Safety Commission through the SSLAG Project Team’s recommendations.
Membership Conditions: Members must
- ensure that the products or their services to be endorsed as safe are indeed differentiated in the market by certain safety or child friendly features, which are verifiable.
- offer value added, affordable, (value for money) products/services for schools and learning establishments to support the Safe School Lagos compliance drive.
- collaborate with the SSLAG Team to offer a range of School Safety Compliance driven services such as support with implementing the mandatory safety Management System (SMS); documentation of approved school safety policies, procedures and self assessment reviews; support all SSLAG Key Elements 1-4
- support education stakeholders through Safe School advocacy initiatives and publicity campaigns, sponsorship or Capacity building of school teams in different areas of the school safety or to deliver Safety Cross Curricular themes
- support schools to provide staff cover and supply teaching to enable schools meet the safety requirements of maintaining appropriate School Safety accustomed staff levels in the classroom at all times
- provide access to relevant information about their products and services through the appropriate SSLAG technology Portal
Membership is organised into three categories, namely:
Beacon of Safety in Schools: Education and Learning Establishment (may be themed around sports, fun or religious purposes)
Full members: Corporate Organisations
Associate Members (SMEs’, Assessors and NGOs).
IMPLICATIONS: There are specific implications for each of these categories and these implications is communicated during the SSA Vendors’ Workshop. The Vendors Workshop that is scheduled to take place on the 19th April, 2022, at the LSC Conference room, is an Induction Workshop for all Vendors and is opened to all the different categories of membership.
However, the workshop deals with the implications for the corporate members based on their areas of exposure. For example, we have
A: Beacon of Safety in Schools;
B: Full members;
C: Associate members
D: Parent Watch Network
Subsequent workshops/briefings will be communicated to all registered members by emails when and if needed.
KEY PRODUCTS AND SERVICES THAT MUST BE ENDORSED AND WHY?
There is a need to regulate certain products and services that school aged children are exposed to due to the following reasons (but not exhaustive to these reasons):
- CHILD PROTECTION & SAFEGUARDING: This is a human right issue for children of school ages. Children are vulnerable and should be protected from harm, abuse, exploitations and ignorance. Hence the need for proper regulations of education and learning personnel to uncover those who are unsuitable due to certain reasons such as history of mental illness, past unsafe behaviours and attitudes that may constitute risks to young children, thus disqualify them to be around school children